As far as habits go, smoking is one of the worst that anyone could pick up. Smoking, as well as any other type of tobacco use, poses detrimental effects on a person’s health and complete well-being. Tobacco is a highly addictive drug, made all the more destructive because of how hard it is for people to break the addiction. The addiction to a dangerous drug poses personal health risks, and there are specific health issues related directly to smoking and using tobacco.
- Bad breath – While not a health concern on its own, chronic bad breath is typically caused by destructive behavior and/or disease. Bad breath can have a very negative impact on a person’s personal and professional life.
- Tooth discoloration – Like it or not, people make judgements on how you look and how well you present yourself. Smokers can typically be picked out of a room full of people due to their dingy, discolored smiles. Tobacco is a staining agent, and continued tobacco usage leads to permanent tooth discoloration that even professional teeth whitening cannot erase.
- Breathing problems – Tobacco is a drug, and when it is breathed in through the inhaling of smoking, it allows many chemicals to enter the body through the lungs. These dangerous chemicals cause permanent changes to the lungs and airways, leading to breathing problems such as Emphysema and COPD.
- Lung Cancer – With the damage that smoking causes to the lungs, the lungs are left vulnerable to disease. Lung cancer is prominent among smokers, and it is a disease with a high death rate.
- Periodontal disease – Periodontal disease is the severe and irreversible infection of the gum tissues that surround and support the teeth. Again, tobacco brings harmful chemicals into the body that should never be introduced. Tobacco causes the gum tissues to become raw and irritated, easily contracting infection. Periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among smokers, and treatment for this disease is extensive and very expensive.
- Oral cancer – The damage that smoking and tobacco use cause to the gum tissues leaves them weakened and without the immunity to fight off other diseases. Oral cancer is prominent among tobacco users. Cancer cells develop in large numbers, and because the mouth is full of living tissues these cancer cells can travel easily through the blood stream to other parts of the body.
Smoking and tobacco use leave devastation in their wake. Contact Meadowbrook Family Dental to learn how you can overcome the damage that tobacco has caused.
Posted on behalf of Meadowbrook Family Dental